Saturday, December 10, 2005

Fakemas, mucus, and fanfare- Oh my.

So it's been almost a month since I've posted.

First, we had colds. I can count on one hand the number of times Jack sniffled before he joined preschool. Since September he's had a full blown cold 3 times. They shouldn't call it co-op, they should call it cootiefest.

Secondly, we went to Colorado for Fakemas (def. the early celebration of Christmas with my parents that the entire immediate family [with one neurotic exception] commits to attending so that we are free to spend actual Christmas with our inlaws/at home etc. that takes place over the Thanksgiving weekend). It works as well as it can in the surreal environment that is my parents home. There are two separate large TV's in the living room tuned to different stations and running at least 10 hours a day. At least a couple of people are drunk at any given time from about noon on, and a motley mix of conservatives, liberals, straights, gays, hillbillies and cityslickers can be found exchanging gifts and getting goofy with board games late into the night while the kids sleep, the snow falls, and the coyotes howl from nearby in the woods. It would be great fodder for some creative semi-fiction if I didn't think they'd shoot me.

Once we got home some spyware had made our computer even slower than the grandparents' dial up and I lost all patience for the internet until Sam could clean everything up.

The whole family got another round of fevers and mucus. Lovely.

That brings us to the present. We're getting over our colds and ready for our own yuletide festivities, houseguests, and such while waiting in vain for more than 1/24" of snow.

Last night we went to the Moisture Festival's holiday benefit pantomime at Hale's Ales. My husband Sam grew up going to see a panto every year before Christmas in the U.K. Good fun was had by all and I think we'll start our own holiday tradition here as long as the Fremont Players continue to put one on.

I'm reading Tales of a Female Nomad by Rita Golden Gelman and so far it's pretty good. She writes books for kids while she explores the world. It's light and inspirational.

I'm almost done with Christmas shopping. I was picking up a few essentials last week at the grand opening of the Greenwood Space Travel Supply Company such as the very reasonably priced (and for a great cause) gravity detectors and threat minimizers. I've been excited about this new creative axis when I wandered through the atomic teleporter from the store to the heart of 826 Seattle where the Tang was flowing and the literate were mingling. While Sam and Jack were sampling gum drops I found myself standing beside 826 founder/ philanthropist/writer/all around bad ass Dave Eggers, who I very much admire. Sam is a little jealous, but I don't want to boink Dave, I want to be Dave. Anyhoo, We're standing/leaning there and I am searching my brain for something to say that doesn't sound like an incoherentasskissinggushoffanaticallove and I can't. My Tanged up son streaks by, I make some lame parting mumble about catching an escaping short martian that Dave chuckles at and that's it. We leave and I miss the opportunity to have some witty discourse with one of my personal heroes because I was trapped in self-doubting frazzled brain mode. My only consolation was that I didn't make an ass out of myself, but that's really no consolation at all is it? I did not embrace the situation because I was too daffy and chickenshit, and I regret it.

In honor of the temporary loss of my cajones last weekend, I am hereby declaring the rest of this weekend an exercise in extrovertiveness and a course of creative courageousness.

Congested Chickenshit out.

2 Comments:

Blogger LeFemmeMonkita said...

Never fear--Dave comes round often for readings and such and is most approachable.

I'm bummed I missed out on the grand opening of 826. Sounds like it's just the place to stock up on dehydrated ice cream!

10:31 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

It was a fantastic outpost for holiday gifts.

I'm sure Dave knows how to be charming and cordial, it was me that I worry about. :)

8:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home