Sunday, November 13, 2005

Neighbors and ideas. Good, bad, and ugly.

I really love our neighborhood. It's got community, damnit. Apart from the fantastic ability to walk to the store/coffeeshop/library/park etc. Our neighbors are damned friendly. We've been here a few short months and have befriended or at least met most of those around us. The people across the street who leave nasty "anonymous" notes when we have the nerve to park a car on the street in front of their house not withstanding, everyone else is great. There is an old widower around the corner who brings homegrown veggies for us and grapes for Jack. We've gone to the dog park with the next door neighbor and she invited me to join her book club. We lived in a house in L.A. for four years and the only thing we ever got (indirectly from the neighbors is crime tape.

Our dog has California blood. He spent (at least) the last few years of his life in southern California and has the surfboard, Disneyland pass, and knowledge of reikis to prove it. ;) He also has thin blood. If he has to go outside or wait in the car for 5 minutes he starts shivering like a junkie on a methadone placebo. So we have caved and bought him a.....

dog sweater.

Yes, he looks silly. I thought his stylish little weasel heart would be shamed at the faux suede fleece combo and he would try to chew it off. The truth is he seems to like it and it looks cozy, if not foolish.

I was inspired by this blog to go to the lovely and well-stocked Uwajimaya for a tupperware-esque bento box (similar to this) to hold a Jack lunch-to-go. The little compartments are perfect for his toddler appetite and the price is right ($5). I also left with noodles, Pocky, and other good yummies. I love that place.

Crash is a great movie. I was a little put off at first, but it ended up getting under my skin and I've been thinking about it ever since.

We went to Dan Zanes last weekend and loved it. Jack in particular thought it was superb. He got to meet Dan afterwards and the little groupie was starstruck.
He's been singing Dan's songs pretty continuously ever since. Me thinks he's got his dad's music genes.






I am trying to stay creative and budget-conscious for the holidays. I'm knitting some snazzy scarves and felted bags and my little brother shall get some homemade Bose-knock off headphones via Instructables. Some lucky loved ones will receive a goat or maybe 1/2 a water buffalo from Heifer International. And if I had money to burn my husband could thank Mimi Smartypants for exposing me to this spooky primate. His office would go from drab to fab every time he did something to anger the Chimp.


3 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

What, is that dog sweater made of suade?

5:42 PM  
Blogger LeFemmeMonkita said...

I'll be on the lookout for the canine junkie on methadone placebo wearing a faux suede coat! ROFL!

You're lucky though. I've lived here for 8 years and only vaguely know my neighbors. Trouble is, most of the people around me are renters...OR people who've lived here their whole (60+ years) lives.

7:00 PM  
Blogger Kim said...

Our neighbors are all pretty old. The median age at the block party this summer was 60. We're the whipper snappers.

6:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home