Monday, September 05, 2005

Stop supporting Geoffrey.

Dear Toys'R'Us;

I grew up in a town too small to have a Toys'r'us. I truly felt that this compromised my childhood. When we visited distant family I would beg and whine until I grated my mom's nerves down and she would take me to the mecca of plastic and gender specific packaging. I loved everything from the long fluorescent aisles to the selection of record shaped bubble gums by the checkstands. It was my kind of place.
A couple of decades pass and I now have better judgement.
I hate Toys'r'us.
Is it that...
everything in the entire place is made by the same half dozen toy monopolies?
anything remotely artsy is packaged in hot pink?
that at Toys'r'us, pretend play means pretending you're working at McDonald's building Big Macs or polishing your mini Kitchenaid blender with Mr. Clean dustcloths?
the entire fucking aisle of war toys?
anything related to tools has "Home Depot" in 3 inch letters all over it?
Bratz wasn't creepy enough- now you have to walk by a 12 foot pyramid of Baby Bratz?!?
everything is crossmarketed with some other product as if my kid was a some consumer sponge rather than a child just looking for something to play with?
I had an $80 credit from a returned baby shower gift and I thought we would get something for the monkey. He has low standards so I thought it would be easy, but it wasn't. We got some train stuff and some plastic crap for the sandbox. I hope they somehow go out of business before I have to go back. Blech!
I'm off my soapbox now, and I'm off to support the little guy.

1 Comments:

Blogger Elisette said...

Just another mommy/blogger perusing and I had to chime in on Toys R Us. It scares me. I can't find ANYTHING, and the people who work there are BAD at the customer service thing. With the added bonus of overpriced toys! I remember walking down the aisles and aisles of toys in awe, I wish I still felt that way.

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home